Buy this and your school gets £1.12 to spend on books Orders of £10 or more will earn 20% of your order value back in Scholastic Rewards for your school. Find out more about Scholastic Rewards
This product has not been rated yet.
0 reviews (Add a review)
Written by bestselling author Holly Webb, The Runaways beautifully captures the spirit of Great Britain during the Second World War, weaving together themes of resilience, identity and what it means to call a place your home.
It’s London in the late 1930s, and the Second World War is imminent. When a young Londoner called Molly hears that the children in her neighbourhood are being evacuated, she feels relieved. The war scares her, and living in the city means living in the heart of danger.
However, Molly’s relief is short lived because her mum refuses to let her go, telling her that she has to stay and help with the war effort. And that’s not all – times are tough, and there’s not enough food or supplies for people, let alone pets. This means that Molly’s beloved dog Bertie is now considered “surplus to requirement”.
So Molly decides to escape.
Stowing away on a train, Molly makes it to the country, but once there the reality of her situation dawns on her: she doesn’t know where she is or who to trust. It’s not until Molly comes across two other runaways that she starts to feel safe again. Maybe, just maybe, with each other’s help, they have a chance of overcoming the trials put in front of them.
693 in SCB Offer December 2023
October 3rd, 2019
AR book level: 5.1; Middle years; 8.0 points
This product has not been reviewed yet.
Add a review
Customers also bought
- Secret of the Night Train
- The Accidental Wizard: A Peculiar Problem (Book #2)
- The Secret Animal Society
- The Mountain Rescue Dog
- Voices #3: Son of the Circus - A Victorian Story
Cleopatra: One Cool Queen
- The Midnight Thief
- Nat Enough
6booksLisa Thompson Pack x 6
- Otto Tattercoat and the Forest of Lost Things
- My Story: Noor-un-Nissa Inayat Khan
- Day in the Life of a Caveman, a Queen and Everything In Between
- The Queen's Fool
4booksLibby Scott Pack x4
- Morgan Charmley: Spells and Secrets
- My Story: Codename Céline
- Jamie Johnson #1: The Kick Off (2021 edition)
- Mohinder's War
- Evie's War
A Bad Spell for the Worst Witch
- My Best Friend: My Best Friend and the Royal Rivals
- A Life Story: Queen Elizabeth II
Horrible Histories: Woeful Second World War
- My Story: A Picture of Freedom
- Escape from Chernobyl
- Babysitters Little Sister Graphic Novel #1: Karen's Witch
- Scholastic Classics: Black Beauty