Shopping from United States? Please visit the correct site for your location.
Buy this and your school gets £2.00 to spend on books Orders of £10 or more will earn 25% of your order value back in Scholastic Rewards for your school.
This product has not been rated yet.
0 reviews (Add a review)
- FREE UK delivery for schools on orders containing at least one paid item.
- FREE UK delivery on orders £25 or over
- £3.95 delivery charge on UK orders under £25
Book Club orders
- FREE delivery to schools
- Books will be despatched after the school's order is confirmed
UK delivery within 5-7 working days
Delivery charges and times vary for overseas addresses
- All About You > BAME
- All About You > Coping with Death, Grief, and Loss
- All About You > Diversity
- All About You > Prejudice and Tolerance
- Award Winners
- Fiction > Historical Fiction
- History > American History
- Multicultural > African
- Theme Days, Weeks and Months > Black History Month
- War and Combat
Boys Don’t Cry meets Chains in this gutsy historical epic – winner of the Carnegie Medal 2015. How not to get lynched in post Civil War America? Um… don’t be a solo black girl. So Charley is dressing up as a male soldier… Charley used to be a slave. Now she’s free. But safe? That’s another matter. Her adoptive mum was raped and killed by a racist mob. Charley doesn’t want to go the same way. Then Charley hits on the perfect disguise: a soldier’s uniform. In the army, dressed as a man, she can let her guard down. Right? Did you love Apache? Well, Tanya’s latest slams through you like a dynamite blast. Forget the competition. Tough-cookie Charley is the braveheart we wish we were most like.
- A thrilling Carnegie Medal winner inspired by a true story
- By the author of Apache and the Poppy Fields Mysteries
- Explores themes of gender and racism in a historical setting
- “Hard hitting, bleak and full of heart” – Metro
This book contains mature content.
April 3rd, 2014
Lexiles are the global standard in reading assessment. They are unique as
they are able to measure a child and a book on the same scale – ensuring
the right book gets to the right child at the right time.
For more details see What is a lexile?.
AR book level: 5.3; Upper years; 13.0 points
This product has not been reviewed yet.