Buy this and your school gets £1.60 to spend on books Orders of £10 or more will earn 20% of your order value back in Scholastic Rewards for your school.
This product has not been rated yet.
0 reviews (Add a review)
SHORTLISTED FOR THE CARNEGIE MEDAL 2016 WINNER OF THE INAUGURAL AMNESTY CILIP HONOUR 2016
Lie #1: I’m not afraid
Lie #2: I’m sure I’m doing the right thing
Lie #3: I don’t care what they think of me
It’s 1959. The battle for civil rights is raging. And it’s Sarah’s first day of school as one of the first black students at previously all-white Jefferson High.
No one wants Sarah there. Not the Governor. Not the teachers. And certainly not the students – especially Linda, daughter of the town’s most ardent segregationist.
Sarah and Linda are supposed to despise each other. But the more time they spend together, the less their differences matter. And both girls start to feel something they’ve never felt before. Something they’re determined to ignore.
Because it’s one thing to stand up to an unjust world – but another to be terrified of what’s in your own heart.
‘The main characters are terrific in what is a moving YA novel. And an important one.’ – The Telegraph’
This is so thought-provoking it almost hurts to read it, yet every word is needed, is necessary and consequently this is a novel that lingers long after you’ve finished it’ – Lovereading
‘This is an emotional and compelling read that I did not want to put down. It is [...]beautifully written and the tension just simmers on the pages.’ – Bookbabblers
‘This book packs a very powerful punch’ – Historical Novel Society
‘With great characterisation, tough issues covered, and a plot which had me guessing right up until the last pages, this is a must-read. Massively recommended!’ – The Bookbag
‘This exceptional novel of first love and sexual awakenings is set against a backdrop of shocking racism and prejudice. It is incredibly well written as the tense, riveting story seamlessly combines fiction with historical fact.’ – Booktrust
A Goodreads Choice Awards semi-finalist 2014
October 2nd, 2014
Lexiles are the global standard in reading assessment. They are unique as
they are able to measure a child and a book on the same scale – ensuring
the right book gets to the right child at the right time.
For more details see What is a lexile?.
AR book level: 4.2; Upper years; 15.0 points
This product has not been reviewed yet.
Add a review
Customers also bought
- A Very Large Expanse of Sea
- English Timesavers: Customs and Lifestyle in the English-speaking World (with CD)
- Secondary ELT Readers Level 3 - Level 4: The Story of Chanel (Book only)
- Alex Rider #6: Ark Angel - The Graphic Novel
- The Midnight Hour #2: The Midnight Howl
- A Change is Gonna Come (BAME Short Stories)
4booksKaren McManus Pack x4
- Riverdale #4: Death of a Cheerleader (Riverdale, Book 4)
The Land and the People: Russia
- I Have a Dream: Martin Luther King and the Fight for Equal Rights
- The History of the African and Caribbean Communities in Britain
The Land and the People: India
The Land and the People: Japan
- City of Ghosts #1: City of Ghosts
6booksCelebration Days Pack x 6
If All the World Were...
- My Hair
Clap When You Land
- Dog Man #8: Fetch-22
- Young, Gifted and Black
- Dog Man #2: Dog Man Unleashed
- Disney Twisted Tales: Twisted Tales - So This is Love
- Billy and the Beast
- Yes No Maybe So
- I Am Thunder
- The Forest of Ghosts and Bones
The Way Past Winter
- Daphne and Velma #1: The Vanishing Girl (Daphne and Velma Novel #1)