Shopping from United States? Please visit the correct site for your location.
Now fully in line with 2014 Curriculum objectives
Raise literacy and attainment through a deep and active reading of best-loved children’s stories from acclaimed authors. Read & Respond takes growing readers into the heart of over 70 timeless titles, chosen to inspire genuine delight.
Each teacher resource book focuses on a popular children’s story, bringing it alive in a cross-curricular way. Explore every facet of the story through speaking and listening activities, debate and discussion, guided reading, creative writing exercises, quizzes, games and craft ideas.
Read & Respond is an ideal alternative to scheme or extract-based reading, letting children discover the joy of reading whole stories and novels. It builds literacy and thinking skills that raise overall achievement, while inspiring a love of reading for pleasure: a key indicator of future success.
“Reading and writing for enjoyment are two of the most powerful ways of getting children reading. Read & Respond provides exactly this.” Michael Morpurgo
Each resource book includes:
- Plot, character and setting activities
- Speaking and listening activities
- Guided and shared reading sessions
- Extended writing projects
- Cross-curricular links and creative exercises
- Differentiation ideas and assessment guidance
- Photocopiable activities
In this series
Read & Respond
To get started with Read & Respond all you need to do is:
- Choose a children’s book, from Owl Babies to Kensuke’s Kingdom, to study with your class
- Order the corresponding Read & Respond Teacher Resource Book
- Add a Read & Respond Interactive CD-ROM to really get your lessons buzzing!
Read & Respond Teacher Resource Titles
In-depth analysis of each book to get the whole class thinking about the story—and expressing their thoughts aloud and in writing. Within each Teacher Resource Book you’ll find:
- Background information
- Detailed chapter notes
- Plot, character and setting activities
- Shared reading section, with three extracts to read as a class
- ‘Talk about it’ section to get the children discussing feelings and ideas around the book
- ‘Get writing’ activities to help children structure and express their views about the book
- Assessment activities*
Read & Respond Interactive
These multimedia CD-ROMs can be used as standalone products, or to expand upon the corresponding Read & Respond teacher’s book. Read & Respond Interactive is ideal for exploring cross-curricular themes and for inspiring reluctant readers.
Each CD-ROM contains:
- Teaching notes, including lesson plans, differentiation, cross-curricular links and editable notes
- An author interview or biography
- Audio clips
- Text extracts
- Cross-curricular photos and video clips to help put the story into context
- A word bank – linked to the text extracts – containing audio and text definitions
- A selection of interactive whiteboard activities.
We can supply each children’s title covered by the Read & Respond series as a pack of 6 or 30 books, or as a single purchase.
Eifron Watkinson from Addington School, Reading takes a look at Read & Respond Elmer for us.
Children were all interested in the suggested activities and were motivated by them. Group particularly enjoyed the dressing up activities where the teacher observed lots of descriptive language being used and organisational skills coming to the fore.
Excellent idea to include Show Your True Colours which linked very well to the SEAL work going on in school at present.
Teachers found the resource included a wide range of activities to cover most abilities within the class. Having Learning Objectives clearly shown was a time saving bonus too.
Work led onto performing a drama for other classes to watch that the children had written for themselves.
All the KS1 and Foundation Stage teachers were impressed by the resource which gave them new ideas based on a familiar book.
As co-ordinator I would buy this book for school as it was easy to use, provided motivating activities for staff and pupils and saved a lot of planning time.
Large colour laminated posters of the worksheets would be useful for group work.
Try before you buy with free sample pages and first chapters, and download free classroom resources, activity sheets, quizzes and much more.