Shopping from United States? Please visit the correct site for your location.
Yankee Girl New
Buy this and your school gets £1.25 to spend on books Orders of £10 or more will earn 25% of your order value back in Scholastic Rewards for your school.
This product has not been rated yet.
0 reviews (Add a review)
- FREE UK delivery for schools on orders containing at least one paid item.
- FREE UK delivery on orders £25 or over
- £3.95 delivery charge on UK orders under £25
Book Club orders
- FREE delivery to schools
- Books will be despatched after the school's order is confirmed
UK delivery within 5-7 working days
Delivery charges and times vary for overseas addresses
You know it already: being the new kid at school isn’t easy. But being the first black kid at an all-white school in 1960s Mississippi is a million times worse. Everyone’s got it in for Valerie, the black girl. Everyone except new arrival Alice, the ‘Yankee Girl’. She’s also an outsider, taunted by the in-crowd. She can’t stand the way Valerie is picked on. But should Alice step in – or will she watch from the sidelines? Can Alice find the courage to stand up for what’s right?
- A powerful modern classic exploring racism, friendship and courage
- Vividly describes life in America’s Deep South during the 1960s
- Based on the author’s own experiences of growing up in Mississippi
- Chosen as a VOYA Top Shelf Title for Middle School Readers
“Impressive… Rodman infuses the familiar struggle of the new girl in town with immediacy, danger and historical relevance.” Publishers Weekly
“Rodman’s novel is unputdownable and the events she describes riveting.” Books for Keeps
This book contains mature content and language more suitable for older readers.
This product has not been reviewed yet.