Voices #5: Windrush Child
Buy this and your school gets £1.00 to spend on books Orders of £10 or more will earn 20% of your order value back in Scholastic Rewards for your school.
Rated 3/5 from 2 ratings
0 reviews (Add a review)
In this heart-stopping adventure, Benjamin Zephaniah shows us what it was like to be a child of the Windrush generation. Leonard is shocked when he arrives with his mother in the port of Southampton. His father is a stranger to him, it’s cold and even the Jamaican food doesn’t taste the same as it did back home in Maroon Town. But his parents have brought him here to try to make a better life, so Leonard does his best not to complain, to make new friends, to do well at school – even when people hurt him with their words and with their fists. How can a boy so far from home learn to enjoy his new life when so manythings count against him?
‘Zephaniah pulls no punches in his depictions of the racism that Leonard suffers both at school and in the streets in a powerful, moving account of family and fitting in’ iNews ‘An invaluable story for any young readers who enjoy adventure and want to learn more about the Windrush generation’s experience. Essential reading’ Alex WheatleABOUT THE SERIES: VOICES
- A thrilling series showcasing some of the UK’s finest writers for young people.
- Voices reflects the authentic, unsung stories of our past.
- Each shows that, even in times of great upheaval, a myriad of people have arrived on this island and made a home for themselves – from Roman times to the present day.
- Perfect for teaching children about inclusivity and diversity
Our November 2020 Ages 11+ Book of the Month
Our November Book of the Month pick for 11+ is the heart-stopping adventure Windrush Child from Benjamin Zephaniah. I have chosen this book because it is essential reading on part of our country’s history and perfect for teaching children about inclusivity and diversity. In a powerful, moving account of family and fitting in, Zephaniah shows us what it was like to be a child of the Windrush generation. An invaluable story for any young reader, with the adventure and narrative non-fiction element keeping it engaging and entertaining as well as being historically accurate and educating. Windrush Child is the fifth book in the Voices series, which showcases some of the UK’s finest writers as they reflect on the authentic unsung stories of our past. Each book reads as a standalone, but great if kids love the series as there’s four more for them to get stuck into straight away!
Voices (book 5)
November 5th, 2020
Lexiles are the global standard in reading assessment. They are unique as
they are able to measure a child and a book on the same scale – ensuring
the right book gets to the right child at the right time.
For more details see What is a lexile?.
AR book level: 4.8; Middle years plus; 6.0 points
This product has not been reviewed yet.
Add a review
Customers also bought
Read & Respond: Windrush Child
SAVE Promo available
30copiesOf Mice and Men x 30
30copiesPrivate Peaceful x30
- To Kill a Mockingbird
- The Pavee & the Buffer Girl
- Secret Sunshine Project
- The Boy Who Fooled the World
- Me, My Dad and the End of the Rainbow
The Nowhere Emporium
Striking Out: A Thrilling Novel from Superstar Striker Ian Wright
The Bad Guys #2: The Bad Guys 2 Colour Edition: Mission Unpluckable
- A Life Story: Katherine Johnson
The Adventures of John Blake: Mystery of the Ghost Ship
Luna Loves Art
- Wildspark: A Ghost Machine Adventure
- The Fox Girl and the White Gazelle
- Little Leaders: Exceptional Men in Black History
- Mr Gum #1: You're a Bad Man, Mr Gum!
- The Polar Bear Explorers' Club #1: The Polar Bear Explorers' Club
- My Best Friend: My Best Friend on the Titanic
- Exploding Life of Scarlett Fife
- The Pirate Mums
- The Midnight Guardians
All the Pieces of Me
- The Place for Me: Stories About the Windrush Generation
Shifty McGifty and Slippery Sam
30copiesWindrush Child x 30