Please Write Soon: An Unforgettable Story of Two Cousins in World War II
Buy this and your school gets £1.60 to spend on books Orders of £10 or more will earn 20% of your order value back in Scholastic Rewards for your school. Find out more about Scholastic Rewards
This product has not been rated yet.
0 reviews (Add a review)
Named Children’s Book of the Week by The Times!Shortlisted for the Historical Association’s Young Quills 2023 Award Inspired by a true family story, Michael Rosen presents an astonishing account of perseverance, love and hope in wartime. Beginning in 1939, young Solly in London exchanges letters with his teenaged cousin, Bernie, in Poland. While Solly is evacuated and tries his best to adjust to life in the English countryside, Bernie’s parents know that as Jews they’re not safe staying in Warsaw, so they send Bernie to the Russian-occupied side of the country in the hope that he’ll be safer there. Soon, though, he is arrested and sent off to a forced labour camp in Russia. As the cousins exchange sporadic letters, they try to keep their spirits up, trading jokes and observations about the world changing all around them. Then Bernie seizes the opportunity to join the “Anders Army” and fight the Axis powers, and tells Solly all about his experiences in Iraq and eventually Italy, where he fights alongside the British at the famous Battle of Monte Cassino. Does Bernie survive and find a safe place to call home?
- With breathtaking illustrations by beloved illustrator Michael Foreman, this is an unforgettable story of courage and love, perfect for the whole family to share.
- Michael Rosen is one of the best-known figures in the children’s book world, known for his work as poet and author of classic books such as WE’RE GOING ON A BEAR HUNT.
- This book is a perfect companion to POPPY FIELD by Michael Morpurgo and Michael Foreman. Together, the books are a wonderful introduction to the history of the great wars of the 20th century and the importance of Remembrance.
Our October 2022 Ages 11+ Book of the Month
Our book of the month for children aged 11+ is Please Write Soon by one of the best-known figures in the children’s book world, Michael Rosen.
This beautifully written book is a paperback exclusive and inspired by a true story about Michael Rosen’s family. It is about perseverance and hope in the face of true horror and hardship – it is a perfect introduction to the history of the Second World War and very fitting in the lead up to Remembrance day at the beginning of November.
488 in SCB Offer December 2023
April 7th, 2022
This product has not been reviewed yet.
Add a review
Customers also bought
Octopus Socktopus (Board Book)
- Carry Me!: 1,2,3 Under the Sea
- The Leaf Thief (CBB)
7booksDavid Walliams New Picture x7
- Tudors: Kings, Queens, Scribes and Ferrets!
- Secret Beast Club: The Unicorns of Silver Street
- Twin Power: Thrown In!
- The Selfish Crocodile
5booksJacqueline Wilson Ages 7–9 Pack x 5
- The Lighthouse Keeper's Surprise
Bombs and Blackberries: A World War Two Play
- My Royal Story: Egyptian Princess
- Little Robin Red Vest
- Just One of Those Days
3booksThe Lord of the Rings Pack x 3
Cleopatra: One Cool Queen
How to Train Your Dragon #8: How to Break a Dragon's Heart
- The Breakfast Club Adventures: The Phantom Thief
- Discover the Tudors: Henry VIII
Voices #1: Now or Never - A Dunkirk Story
- Peace at Last
The Paninis of Pompeii
- By Rowan and Yew
Horrible Histories: Horrible Histories: London
- Handa's Noisy Night
British Museum: So You Think You've Got it Bad? A Kid's Life in the Aztec Age
The Castle of Adventure
Horrible Histories: Terrible Thames