Buy this and your school gets £1.40 to spend on books Orders of £10 or more will earn 20% of your order value back in Scholastic Rewards for your school.
This product has not been rated yet.
0 reviews (Add a review)
“This luminous tale of loss, love and finding family is threaded through with the power of storytelling, and a touch of magic. ‘A giant of a little thing’, as Alberto would say, The Boy, the Bird, & the Coffin Maker reads like a classic.” Kiran Millwood Hargrave, author of The Girl of Ink and Stars. Alberto lives alone in the town of Allora, where fish fly out of the sea and the houses shine like jewels. He is a coffin maker, spending his quiet, solitary days creating the final resting places of Allora’s people. Until the day a mysterious boy and his magical bird arrive – flying from danger and searching for a safe haven. Tito is fearful, suspicious of kindness, but as the winter days grow colder and darker, Alberto’s home grows warmer and brighter. Can Tito and his bird be sheltered from the town’s prying eyes and the shadows of their past?
- A story of life and death and of how hope can burn bright in a place faded by sadness
- A gem of a read: heart-breaking but ultimately life-affirming, it celebrates small acts of gentleness and goodness.
- Inclusive, thoughtful and a proper page-turner.
- The lyrical, fairytale-like tone of the writing and the not-quite-real setting give the story a timeless quality and the makings of a modern classic.
- This is Gabriel Garcia Marquez for children.
- The magical realism of The Boy, the Bird, & the Coffin Maker allows the author to tackle a difficult subject in an accessible way, as Patrick Ness did in A Monster Calls.
- A stunning, standout package: printed endpapers and charming full-page illustrations in every chapter make this a beautiful gift
May 4th, 2017
Lexiles are the global standard in reading assessment. They are unique as
they are able to measure a child and a book on the same scale – ensuring
the right book gets to the right child at the right time.
For more details see What is a lexile?.
AR book level: 4.7; Middle years; 4.0 points
This product has not been reviewed yet.
Add a review
Customers also bought
Wiggott's Wonderful Waxworld: Terror Train
- Disaster Diaries: Zombies!
- The Parker Inheritance
- Little Bits of Sky
4booksAbi Elphinstone Pack x 4
- Jessica Cole: Model Spy #3: Catwalk Criminal
- The Pearl in the Attic
The Curse of the Chocolate Phoenix NE
- Alfie Bloom #1: The Secrets of Hexbridge Castle
- The Unexpected Find
- The Girl, the Cat and the Navigator
- Lightning Chase Me Home
- The Glass Bird Girl
The Skylarks' War
The Misadventures of Max Crumbly #3: Masters of Mischief
- The Runaways
- The Extincts
- Wolf Hollow
The Battle of Bubble and Squeak
- The Thirteenth Home of Noah Bradley
- Nelson Mandela: No Easy Walk to Freedom
Tales from India
- Brightstorm #2: Darkwhispers: A Brightstorm Adventure
2booksBarrington Stoke: True Stories Pack x2