Shopping from United States? Please visit the correct site for your location.
Buy this and your school gets £2.00 to spend on books Orders of £10 or more will earn 25% of your order value back in Scholastic Rewards for your school.
This product has not been rated yet.
0 reviews (Add a review)
- FREE UK delivery for schools on orders containing at least one paid item.
- FREE UK delivery on orders £25 or over
- £3.95 delivery charge on UK orders under £25
Book Club orders
- FREE delivery to schools
- Books will be despatched after the school's order is confirmed
UK delivery within 5-7 working days
Delivery charges and times vary for overseas addresses
- All About You > BAME
- All About You > Books To Make You Think
- All About You > Changes and New Experiences
- All About You > Coping with Death, Grief, and Loss
- All About You > Diversity
- All About You > Families
- All About You > Friends and Friendship
- All About You > Homelessness
- All About You > Immigration
- All About You > Prejudice and Tolerance
- All About You > Refugees
- English > Reading > Top 100 Books for Teens
- Fiction > Contemporary Fiction
- Multicultural > African
It’s just a normal trip to London – isn’t it? Alem is seriously excited. He’s never been out of Ethiopia before. It’s his first foreign holiday! He and his dad have a great few days together – until Alem wakes up in their B&B one morning to find his dad gone. At first Alem is stumped. But then the hotel owner hands him a letter from his dad: a letter that explains the unthinkable. Because of Ethopia’s political problems, he and Alem’s mother felt it would be safer to take Alem to Britain and leave him there. Now Alem is on his own – in the hands of the social services and the Refugee Council. What kind of future lies ahead for this refugee boy?
- A hard-hitting topical story by a top poet and author
- Explores the issue of unaccompanied child refugees
- A powerful, inspiring story of courage and discovery
- “Hilarious and later heartbreaking” – Guardian
August 28th, 2001
Lexiles are the global standard in reading assessment. They are unique as
they are able to measure a child and a book on the same scale – ensuring
the right book gets to the right child at the right time.
For more details see What is a lexile?.
AR book level: 5.6; Upper years; 10.0 points
This product has not been reviewed yet.